At Starlight Labels we are proud to say that every one of the suppliers we use has achieved OEKO-TEX certification and that consequently, the labels you purchase from us are fully non-toxic, lead-free and safe for children in full compliance with OEKO-TEX® Standard 100.
OEKO-TEX®, otherwise known as the International Association for Research and Testing in the Field of Textile and Leather Ecology, is an organization that offers standards certification to each step of the textile manufacturing chain to ensure that the chemicals, inks, and textiles used are sustainable, non-polluting, non-toxic and safe. This includes raw and dyed/finished yarns, woven and knitted fabrics, garments of all types, bed linen, towels, accessories, like buttons and labels and much more.
STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®
Since 1992, STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® has been developing test criteria, limit values and scientific test methods to ensure that textiles do not contain harmful substances.
- Banned Azo colorants, formaldehyde, pentachlorophenol, cadmium, nickel, etc.
- Numerous harmful chemicals, even if they are not yet legally regulated.
- Requirements of Annexes XVII and XIV of the European Chemicals Regulation REACh as well as of the ECHA SVHC Candidate List insofar as they are assessed by expert groups of the OEKO-TEX® Association to be relevant for fabrics, textiles, garments or accessories.
- Requirements from the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) regarding lead.
Baby-safe with Standard 100
As you would imagine the most stringent of tests are required to ensure that items are safe for babies' sensitive skin. The product class I of Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX® protects against:
- allergenic or carcinogenic dyestuffs
- finishes containing formaldehyde
- heavy metals such as nickel in metal buttons
- prohibited plasticizers, e.g. in plastic coatings on non-slip socks
- They also feature good colour fastness because babies take everything into their mouths and suck on it.
Not only baby clothing but also textile toys are tested and to pass product class I of Standard 100 there is an additional requirement that the item is resistant to saliva so OEKO-TEX® test for this with special simulation tests using artificial saliva solution.
More About OEKO-TEX®
The OEKO-TEX® mission is to provide a way to enable consumers and companies to make responsible decisions and have a Code of Conduct based on the following principles:
- Accuracy and Confidentiality
Find out more about OEKO-TEX®